Guestbook Map Photos Blogspot Help!

Year Me Out (March 2007)  
Posted by Laura on Thursday 1st March 2007 at 11:39 PM

Year Me Out for March...

  Blog Entries  [31]   Comments  

Click here to add a Comment: Add Comment

Hide Form
Add Comment

E-mail Address: 
Do Not Display: 
Home Page: 
Verification Code:* 

* Required fields

  Blog Entries  [31]   Comments  

#31: 31/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 1st April 2007 at 09:31 PM

What a night. Not my best. Managed to trip up the stairs at Maidstone hospital when we went to visit Aunty Yvonne. She is still very poorly - has been afflicted with C-difficile - very nasty superbug and is a shadow of her former self. She was pleased to see us though - we had to gown and glove up just to go in to see her. C-Diff is a virulent airborne infection so I hope neither Richard nor I succumb. Afterwards we headed off to The Plough at Leigh for Shenda's 40th Birthday part and I managed to trip up going down the stone steps to the Barn and really did for my ankle. The pain was excruciating (as Sebastian Flyte would say) but I did recover thanks to my knee high black leather boots which provided enough support to get me through the evening - a great 80s disco - the music was fab and we all of us - Adam, Mark, Richard and myself had a really good time. As we drove home my ankle started to completely seize up and I could barely walk getting out of the car - agony is too weak a word. I am now concerned I have done some serious damage as my ankle has swollen up like a balloon and am now proud owner of a left elephant leg - not a pretty sight - will probably have to visit A&E in the morning. Not my finest hour and all because the outside lights were not on lighting up the stairway. Maybe I should sue - don't think I will though as really like The Plough and they did put on the lights once Vicky had complained.

#30: 30/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 1st April 2007 at 09:19 PM

Friday - end of week. Really tired at end of the day. Long day at work with many fraught colleagues as problem with BACS system meant there were several people who were not paid. Also participated in a conference call training session that last over 1.5 hours over lunch, sitting in a freezing cold room with no access to food or drink. Big mistake but good session. Best part of the day/night - Ugly Betty after dinner which was excellent Indian Takeawya from Kyber Pass in Knaphill - UB always delivers. Fell asleep during Jonathan Ross show - even though Ricky Gervais and John Travolta were guesting - big yawn and say no more.

#29: 29/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 29th March 2007 at 11:41 PM

I feel tired tonight. Can't wait until next week when I shall get some time off at last. It was Redhill today for an audit vist. Say no more or no less. It was a long day I did a full 9 until 5.30 plus the travel and it is killing me. At least it didn't rain but it has got decidedly cooler out there.

#28: 28/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Wednesday 28th March 2007 at 11:33 PM

We have a summer holiday sorted out for August! Hurray! We will be going to Centerparcs in Holland, just outside Amsterdam for a week with Wendy, Richard, Andrew, George and Oliver. I'm looking forward to it. The villa is booked now we just have to sort out ferries and whether we want to stay in Amsterdam for on the way home. I've booked off the last two weeks in August as holiday now from work. Not sure what to do about Adam and Mark in the first part of their long summer break. I can't see Mark wanting to do Day Camps or Play Scheme again but a month is a long time to leave them to them totally to their own devices. That said Mark will be 12. He'll be 12 next week in fact. How time flies.

#27: 27/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Wednesday 28th March 2007 at 12:40 AM

Well I'm late again tonight. Still waiting for the last load of washing to finish so I can hang it out to dry. I haven't even sat down in front of the TV this evening for more than 20 minutes - and that was only to see the end of 'Selling Houses Abroad'. I missed the News as I was engrossed in email correspondence all evening. I feel better today, although Mark has been ill. He was sick last night and again this morning and so had to be kept off school - Richard worked from home today as a result. Fortunately Mark picked up so he will be back at his desk tomorrow.

Adam was given the task of taking the payment for Mark's trip to Newquay this summer to the Finance Office and he managed to lose it on the way to school - great - so I will no doubt have to write another cheque tomorrow and stop the one that is 'lost'. What a nightmare - he only told me because I asked if he had delivered it. Why on earth he carried it in his pocket and not in his bag I will never know. Hopefully he has learned his lesson but I am singularly unimpressed. What hope is there that he will amount to anything? At the moment - not much. Watch this space - one day I will get through.

#26: 26/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Monday 26th March 2007 at 08:48 PM

Why does the clocks going forward take such a lot of time to get used to? I have been fighting fatigue all day. It's nice that the sun is still out on the journey home and that you can do things after work in daylight but I was too tired to really appreciate it tonight. I am having an early night for sure. I plan to be in bed by 11pm at the latest, for that will be early for me.

Strange things happening just now, there was a thin brown bloom of dust all over my car and windscreen this morning. I washed it off with my window wiper and veins of dirty water flowed down the body of the car. I wonder what it was? It was all over Woking. Quite horrible. Probably something to do with global warming or volcanic activity or sunspots. Well you never know. I'll keep my eyes peeled in the press and see if anyone else reports it. Quite a few people from work were similarly affected.

#25: 25/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 25th March 2007 at 09:45 PM

There were only 23 hours in this day because it was the start of British Summertime and the clocks went forward 1 hour at 1.00am. I could really have done with an extra hour today I have to say. We got home at 3.30 am BST and were in bed by 3.45am. I got up at 9.50am which meant just 6 hours sleep. I know that I usually subsist on that or less during the week but today I really could have done with some more. Luckily I didn't have to take Mark to his football so I was able to clean and tidy the downstairs of the house and sort out the washing while the guys were all out. Adam lost 1-2 today and Mark lost 4-2. So not a great day for Notley Footballdom. We had visitor's this afternoon when Adrian, Sue, James. Lucy and Sophie popped in for a flying visit. It was good to see them but my clock /sense of timing was so out that we hadn't even had our lunch when they arrived and Richard was still down Sainsbury sorting out some cakes etc to serve for afternoon tea.

I am tired tonight and guilty because I broke my no alcohol band yesterday at the party - I had a couple of glasses of white wine - to be sociaable and tonight - in for a penny in for a pound I had a glass of red with my evening meal but I didn't really enjoy it - I could probably live quite happily without alcohol actually. I certainly don't believe in drinking to excess. San Pelegrano is actually very very good and doesn't make you feel quite so sleepy afterwards. Ah me. It is back on the wagon now. And it won't be any hardship at all.

#24: 24/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 25th March 2007 at 09:32 PM

The day of Pat and Derek's Golden Wedding Anniversary Party. It was a really good evening. We found the venue no problem after spending some time at Wendy and Richard's in Barton le Clay for lunch and the afternoon. We stopped off at Baldock Hinxworth Travel Lodge to change before going on to the Party. The £15 a night room was very pleasant - although we didn't stay in the end because of the hour change and the prospect of an early start for football on Sunday morning. It made more sense to drive straight home and to get more consequutive hours in bed. I wore the brown silk dress and was very pleased with it. Unfortunately somewhere a long the way it acquired a nasty stain so I really hope that it will wash out - or dry clean out. I could try it in the machine I suppose if all else fails. The boys had a good time - both looked good and behaved themselves very well. We have another party next Saturday for Shenda's 40th birthday an we have all been invited to that one too. It has an 80's them - this I am not so sure about but my new black and white dress from Next may very well come into it's own. Still haven't told Richard about that one either...

#23: 23/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Friday 23rd March 2007 at 11:13 PM

Another Friday rounding off the week. I felt dog tired at the end of today. I went round Sainsburys and I was pushing my trolley to the car and I just wanted to be home and fed. Instead I had to drive home and unpack and cook before I could do that. I was feeling very pleased with myself until I realised that I forgot the apples so I will have to pick some up on Monday.

I fet better once I had eaten and Ugly Betty was on and you can't say better than that for a Friday night on the day that Prince Charles came to Woking but I missed him. They will be feeling the after effects in the Peacocks Centre for a long time to come - all new signage and benches and the place so spic and span - we'll have to have royal visitors more often.

#22: 22/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 22nd March 2007 at 10:48 PM

A first for a Thursday night. I went to bed without watching Question Time. I was just too tired. I've got a busy weekend coming up and I found out today that the clocks go forward on Sunday which means we lose an hour. I could really do with an extra one this weekend. Missing it already.

#21: 21/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Wednesday 21st March 2007 at 11:04 PM

2007 is 80 days in. Amazing. I went to Redhill again today and it may be cold just now but the day was so clear, it was beautiful. A blue sky day. It was also budget day in the UK. It was a so what budget and we won't know how it all affects us until next year because many of the changes don't come in until then and thereafter. All we know is that it is Gordon Brown's last budget. Goodness knows who is going to take over when he moves on to Number 10 apparently. I would have thought his successor was fairly important but no one is any the wiser.

#20: 20/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Tuesday 20th March 2007 at 11:43 PM

Talk about cold. It is so very cold today. More sleet we had. I had to put gloves on once again and I turned the car heating up to full blast. I'll be glad when this cold snap is done.

Mark had his first secondary school disco tonight. I came home and he was well underway in his ritual for gettign ready. He had a shower, dosed himself up with aftershave and hair gel and brushed his teeth three times until they gleamed. He wore his smart grey Calvin Klein jeans that we got for him in NYC and his disco shirt. He looked pretty good I have to say. He came home just after nine thirty having had a brilliant time. He told me he had good news and bad. The good news was that he had one a prie in one of the dancing competitions - a mars bar easter egg - he was very pleased with hinslef. The bad news was that his lovely trendy disco shirt had been torn to shreds at the front - he didn't know how it had happened - isn't that always the way. I need to get both him and Adam new shirts before Saturday night now!

#19: 19/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Monday 19th March 2007 at 11:34 PM

Grandpa, my Pa is 79 years old today. I spoke to him on the phone tonight and he was in good spirits. The weather in France is as cold as we are having it here just now. We are in the process of undegoing a sudden arctic cold snap. There was sleet and bitterly cold winds today. All the spring warmth of the last couple of weeks totally blown away. It was baked potato for lunch weather today. All thought of salad swept away for the time being. The clematis on my front wall is all in purple bud and once the warth returns I know the blossoms will be out, provided they don't freeze off or shrivel off first in the cold.

Big surprise this evening when I got home from work. Richard beat me home after his trip to Bristol today and he was making dinner when I got home - tagiatelle carbonara. It is so nice to come home to a fully prepared meal. I really appreciated it and Mark was helping him. It was like Mother's Day all over again.

#18: 18/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 18th March 2007 at 10:58 PM

Mothering Sunday today. No breakfast in bed for me today however. Adam had football and so he was out of the house just after 9 o'clock. I didi get cards from both boys and a rendition of 'Happy Morher's Day to you' from both boys to the tune of Happy Birthday. Mark didn't have a match at all today so I didn't have to be anywhere which was nice. Adam won his amtcha nd he scored too so it was agood day from thay point of view. My goal for the day was to get all the preparations done for my Writing class class for tomorrow which I did. I hope it goes OK. I also got the final bits of cleaning needed in the upstairs bathrooms done. We had steak for dinner tonight - very good it was too - peppered sirloin from Farmer's Choice. I'll get that again.

#17: 17/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Saturday 17th March 2007 at 11:57 PM

Richard made it back from Paris this morning. Hurray! I had a very good and organised morning. I got up at 8 o'clock today and for once I showered before breakfast. This meant I had the washing all sorted and on before 10am. I also cleaned and dusted the upstairs of the house this morning - all before Richard arrived home.

We went to our first barbecue of the year today! Yes in March! - we were outside for much of the time too unbelievabley. It was cool and a touch windy but when the sun was out - which it was mostley it was very pleasant. Mark and Adam got to play on a Nintendo Wii. Even I did, I had a go at a game of tennis and I didn't embarass myself at all as I had feared I woudl.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and when we stopped off at Sainsbury's on the way homeat about 6.30pm it was very busy with kids of all ages and Dads purchasing Mother's day tat for want of a better word. I hate all the commercialism of it. The ubiquitious daffodils and pink boxes of chocolate. It's all so false. I can't bare it. Love is all that matters. Tomorrow I will settle for a hug from both my boys - a spontaneous and heartfelt one would be best of all.

#16: 16/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Saturday 17th March 2007 at 12:18 AM

Tara - triumphant! Hurrah!! Comic Relief does Fame Academy rocks!I'm really pleased for her. It was all a bit quick tonight though, not so much a grand finale as an anti climax and they closed the phone lines before the final songs were sung.

Richard is stuck in Paris tonight. There wasa fire on the railway line in London and they have cancelled all Eurostar trains as a result. Great!. I was late getting back from Richmond this evening - I didn't get home until 10 past 7 so it's been quite a tiring night. I watched Comic Relief bits and pieces on TV and now I'm shortly off to bed.

#15: 15/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 15th March 2007 at 11:51 PM

It was a beautiful day today. Clear, bright and sunny. It wasn't especially warm but it did feel like spring - the quality of the light and the blossom on the trees and new green leaves. I went to Redhill today and the train journey through the Surrey countryside to get there was quite magical. Redhill really is a hicksville of a town though. Nothing special about it. Dead end of a town. Not a place you even pass through on the train. The trains from my experience the ones from Guildford and Reading go in and out on the same track - I don't know what happens on the other side - there is no other side. One way in. One way out. One giant cul de sac for mankind as it were. Right by the station is a building that contains twin night clubs one of which is called Envy which just about sums it up. Nearby Reigate in the direct of Envy looks nice from the train. Genteel. Nowheresville perhaps. I came out of work tonight to be entertained by a vile round of unpleasantries and foul language from two very chavy girls. The best thing about Redhill is leaving it to go home in the evening. Makes you really appreciate Woking. Now that is a town. That is home.

STOP PRESS - Tara made it through to the final of Fame Academy with Tricia. Go girl go. Go all the way. I voted for her again tonight - twice. I just think she is brilliant. I want her to win. I really do. She hassn't got the voice of Trica but there is something very very special unfolding about her. wonderful. Celebrity Fame Academy - we love!!

#14: 14/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Wednesday 14th March 2007 at 11:35 PM

I've been watching Comic Relief Does Fame Academy for the last few days. Tonight I voted for Tara. She's doing really well. Sometimes when she sings there is a quality that I can't quite put my finger on. A vulnerability, a lonliness. I feel sorry for her, like she is one big missed opportunity. She is doing so well and working so hard I just wanted her to stay a little bit longer. tonight the legend that is Ray Stubbs went out. He was great all through too. He wasn't well tonight and infact sounded terrible but he too has showb a side of himself that was rare to see. A genuinely nice man. Tomorrow is the semi-final. No sure who will go out tomorrow now. After tonight and Shaun and Tricia both being in the bottom three, it is anyone's guess.

#13: 13/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Tuesday 13th March 2007 at 10:47 PM

I spent all day today emersed in excel spreadsheets, preparing the Period End Reports for management. I have 5 to do and I got three done today, 2 of which were delivered today and I have a further 2 to finish tomorrow and 3 to deliver. I am on target but it does quite literally take a day and a half to produce them. I can't say it is killing me but it is very time consuming. I do love my job though.

It was Low Carb Day 2. I had the same breakfast as yesterday. Lunch was continental mixed leave dald with tomato, chicken and cucumber with soem bean salad and small piece of cheddar cheese and chives. I also had a babana and a satusma. I snacked on dried figs at work and dried apricots at home. Supper tonight was baked aubergine bolognese with a strawberry fromage frais for afters. Today I drank 1 decaf and 4 normal black coffees - one of which was filter and I had three glasses of water.

Went to Mark's parent's evening tonight. It was another speed dating jobby. We saw 5 teachers, having 5, 5 minute appointments with each. Mark is doing well. He is popular, well praised, enthusiatic. He contributes in class. He sounds lovely at school. Can they really be talking about my son? He has come a long way in the last 2 years. 2 years ago we were going through the hell of him being in and out of hospital. Look at him now. He is really thriving. Long may it continue.

#12: 12/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Monday 12th March 2007 at 11:36 PM

Low Carb Day 1. Breakfast: softish boiled egg with one slice of ham. Lunch: avocado and chicken salad with mixed continental salad leaves, cucumber and tomato with 2 satsumas for desert. Snacks mid afternoon: 4 dried figs. Supper: Chick pea and Chorizo soup, piece of cheddar cheese. Low fat rasberry yoghurt. Cups of coffee: 2 decaf - first and last coffe of day, 3 non decaf at work, Still water: 3 glasses.
No bread, pasta, rice or potato, biscuits, cakes or anything. No alcohol.

The weather was beautiful again today hence my determination to cut back on carbs. I can only do this when it is warm. When I am cold I need I need stodge and starch, I don't know why. I am going to be so good this week. food dairy may be an interesting element too. I'll be able to see where and when I am having bad things.

#11: 11/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 11th March 2007 at 09:24 PM

The weather was beautiful today. It was warm for the first time this year. I popped out to Sainsburys in the afternoon and there were people in tee-shirts. I even saw one lady in a hideous summer dress. Brightly coloured cotton - orange, yellow and pink it was - a sort of sherbet dib-dab dress - hippy gone wrong. The fashions just now are odd. The latest thing is something called a tunic. It is like a very long shirt or a very short dress and you wear them with trousers or god-forbid leggings. No woman over a size 10 or over the age of 25 should wear leggings. It should be a criminal offence. It is pretty offensive to the eyes when you see a fat woman in leggings. The best thing about these fashions is that no one is bearing their midriffs any more, which is definitely an improvement. I wonder if it will be able to last when the heat of summer sets in, I fear the navels will be out in force again somehow. I'm tempted to buy a tunic- I've seen a fabulous one in Bay Trading and if they had had it in my size on Friday I would have bought it, but they didn't so I will have to keep looking.

I must report that I am still sticking to my Lents givings ups. No chocolates. No sweets. No biscuits and no alcohol. I had to brush some pink champagne on my lips on Friday when the Woking office smashed £80K but I didn't drink the small glass that was set aside for me. It might still be there when I go in tomorrow.

If it si warm whcih I think it is now then I will attempt a carb free week. I will take in a chicken avocado salad for lunch tomorrow and I will have a boiled egg for breakfast everyday with ham or tomato. I will not have any bread or potato or pasta or rice all week. I will also try to cut down on coffee. It is three weeks until Easter so for the next three weeks I am going to up the gears. I need to start doing some exercise as well. I want to cycle to work after the clocks go forward at the end of March.

#10: 10/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 11th March 2007 at 01:03 AM

Conspiracy theories. I love them. I have a new one for you now or rather a series of unanswered questions. On 1st March, 5 Britains were kidnapped in Ethiopia, at gunpoint and supposedly marched over the border into Eritrea. They were on holiday in the Afar desert near the Danakil Depression, a more remote place on earth you would be hard pressed to find. It has been over a week now and not one picture or even one name as far as I am aware has been released of the missing people – 4 men and 1 women I believe. Why? All we know is that they are ‘diplomats’ or ‘tourists’. Who are these people? Or more importantly, what are these people? It’s very suspicious if you as me. I think they must be spies or MI5 MI6 or even MI7 if there is such a thing. Their pictures and names are not out there for a very good reason. To protect them no doubt. Why is it that they need protecting? I’m thinking, they cannot be who they say they are. There must be a deliberate press black out on releasing this very basic information. It is all very, very odd. Something is not right. Maybe somebody very, very important is missing. Or somebody who knows something very,very important is missing. Speculation abounds. I can’t be the only person thinking these things. Sooner or later some names and blurry photos will be issued to satisfy bloggers like me. But will it be enough? What is so special about the Danakil Depression? I think that is where the answer lies. This thing is only just beginning. Of that I am sure. Watch this space....

#9: 9/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Friday 9th March 2007 at 11:47 PM

Happy birthday Debbie!! 35 today!! I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news that Debbie had been born. It was a Thursday, the year was 1972 and it was after school. It was sunny and bright but cold, winter was probably just starting to be on the wane. I was outside in our snowy garden - 14 Selwyn Crescent, Kanata, Ontario. The house to the left of the passage through to the grounds of Roland Michener Public School. We had an ice rink in the garden. It wasn't very good or very big - just a blue plastic bag full of sheet ice, but it was an ice rink. I was on my skates at the time with a group of friends and I remember one girl Elizabeth making some not very nice remarks about the stat of the ice and then suddenly there was the report of a phone call from the hospital and my brother Robert came out to the garden to tell me the news from the hospital. Deborah Jane was born. John Hantusch never materialised and my Dad really had been joking about Gervais and Ermintrude which were the joke boy and girl names that we had been threatened with as it were. Funny how you remember things like that.

#8: 8/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 8th March 2007 at 11:40 PM

Richard is already having second thoughts about the new windows we have ordered, having been on to the internet and found bad comments about Zenith windows. Have we been conned? We were told that we would get special discounts if we signed on the night and were selected to be a show home, which we did and which we apparently were. Apparently everyone is and it is all a big con. Richard is all for pulling out. Myself - I do not want to go through that ever again with another company. According to the intenret the product is very good. Not one person slagged it off - it was just the sales method and tactics they were not happy with. I wasn't happy with it either but I knew roughly what to expect it wasn'tr so much the hard sell bu tthe long sell I objected to, the sheer time factor that annoyed me most of all.

Today I also managed to get rid of the big bag of Help the Aged clothing etc so my little clear out at the weekend has been a resounding success. It is now too late to regret any of my chuckings out but I don't think that I will. I will just have to be even more ruthless a little later on. I have lots of old handbags that I can think about getting rid of. That will clear even more space at the top of the wardrobe. I can't wait for the next plastic bag packet to come through my door. There will be one in the next couple of weeks and I will be ready for it!!

#7: 7/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 8th March 2007 at 12:06 AM

Oh my gosh. Double glazing salesmen. tonight we had Zenith come in and do a quote for us at 8pm. Well I thought that it would take 2 hours maximum tops. I knew there woudl be a sales spiel and that there would be a script to be gone through and there would be the inevitable telelphone calls to the Manager to check thongs out and to authorise discounts. It bloody took for absolute ever. We have signed on the dotted line but we do have a 7 day cooling off period so we can change our minds if we need to. I am just so exhausted though. It was pushing midnight before the salesman actually left us. Nightmare.

#6: 6/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Tuesday 6th March 2007 at 11:01 PM

Mark was ill today. so he had to stay at home - alone. I had planned to go home at lunch-time and spend the afternoon with him but he perked up luckily and so I managed a full day of work - but I did leave early tonight at about 5.15 compared to normally of late. Richard got back from Paris in the evening so we were all back as one by the end of the day. I feel so tired now but virtuous because I have bagged up all the clothes etc that I sorted out a couple of weeks ago and one lot will be picked up by the Great Ormond Street Hospital collection tomorrow and then another lot will be collected by Help the Aged on Thursday so my hallway upstairs is all tidy again. Hurrah.

#5: 5/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Monday 5th March 2007 at 08:30 PM

Have started wearing my black kitten heel boots at last. I’ve only had these since October last year and I really liked them – I just thought that they were too tight and liable to cut off the circulation in my lower legs if I wore them for any appreciable time. I have got quite bulbous calves in my opinion and I thought this would be a major hindrance to actually wearing them but as it happens they are fine. I wore them fro the first time on Saturday under my jeans and then today I wore them all day to work and the looked really good with my dress that I got from Principles again in October last year. I was very pleased with the look and the boots are now broken in and very comfortable. So it was a plus.

I had to go to a meeting in Guildford in the late afternoon so I found myself strolling up the High Street at about half past three. I am going through this phase at the moment where I feel as though I need to empty my bladder every five minutes and I knew that I would not make it up the High Street to the office without relieving myself so I had to stop off in House of Fraser. Coming away from the toilets I saw some gorgeous clothes there – I’m going back to Guildford on Wednesday so I might just treat myself to a new raincoat – I may even find a better dress than the brown dress – but as I have two parties to go to another option might very well be a good idea.

#4: 4/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Sunday 4th March 2007 at 07:02 PM

What a wet day. Horrible. Mark had a football match this morning - 10am kick off which meant being picked up just after nine which meant getting up at 7.30am. It wasn't raining when we set off but I went prepared with my big umbrella. It did rain very heavily but because it was also quite blustery it meant that the umbrella was absolutely no use. It tried for a time but he wind seemed to strengthen and I just knew I was fighting a losing battle. So I got wet, very wet. Mark's team lost 9-2. So not the best hour and a half of my life by any means. We were all cold and wet and pretty dejected by the end of it. Only Alex was able to score today and Guildford Saints generously gave us an own goal too. Perhaps they felt sorry for us. At one pint when we were 8-0 down the opposing manager shouted at his team 'Come on, we've got to increase our work rate.' I nearly died laughing as if 8-0 wasn't enough of a humiliation! Some people take these children's football games just a tad too seriously methinks. On days like these it's not about the winning - it is very definitely about the taking part.

#3: 3/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Saturday 3rd March 2007 at 10:15 PM

A total eclipse of the moon occurred tonight. It wasn't that spectacular I have to say after all the hype that I picked up on the internet earlier today. The moon wasn't red or even orange as promised. It was just faded looking and you could only really see it through binoculars. But it was impressive when you realised that it should have been a totally full moon and to all intents and purposes to thr naked eye there was pretty much no moon at all. It was good to have seen though – or to haven attempted to see - not something that occurs everyday - once in a blue moon in fact except as I said before that it should have been red. It would have been probably if the sky had been clearer and we had had a few more volcanic eruptions in recent years. Oh well.
Tonight was date night for Richard and me. I decided that we should go out and leave the boys to their own devices. Adam is old enough to baby sit now and again. It is good to be just us just occasionally. I decided (yes me as usual – I may not be the main car driver but I am certainly the main event driver in this relationship – and rightly so) that we should try The White Hart in Pirbright which we had heard some good reports about so we tried to book a table but when we rang – or rather Richard rang – they said that they didn’t take bookings so we opted to risk it and turn up at around 8pm and wee what happened. This we duly did. Disaster – not only did they not take bookings over the phone but they didn’t even allocate tables on a first come first served basis. No you just had to sit yourself down when a table became free and then you could order. It was like being in a full multi story car park or even McDonalds on a Saturday, circling aimlessly round waiting for a space to become free and then bagging it. Oh the stress. There were about six other hungry looking couples doing the same circuit as us or else casually propping up the bar waiting to pounce. According to Richard there was only one table remotely near pudding stage and everyone had their eye on it. So we left empty stomached and moved on to The Royal Oak a little further up the road. As it happened it was a good move. We got a table straight away and had a splendid meal. Richard particularly liked his smoked salmon starter and my Lamb Henry was very good too. I would definitely go back there. I’d only go back to the Whiter Hart if it was 6.30 pm so I could be absolutely sure of getting a table. But their loss was The Royal Oak’s gain.

#2: 2/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Friday 2nd March 2007 at 10:40 PM

There’s never much to say about Fridays really. Come the evening, it is the start of the weekend but not much more for me because there are so many other things to do. Like… Friday night is Ocado delivery night. Friday night is Mark’s tennis night and of course at the moment, Friday night is “Ugly Betty” night. The best bit. This Friday for me was Pay Day too. Hurrah!! That is always a good thing. I actually like Friday nights in. I like knowing there are two days ahead when I don’t have to go to work and when I can do my thing. Admittedly Saturdays are spent pretty much full time on laundry duty and Sunday is football and cooking but there are compensations. Tonight I decided to do oven baked salmon fillets with new potatoes, parsley sauce and green beans which was very good. Ocado delivered early again tonight. The driver was in the area – isn’t he always but I never mind because I would have chosen between 6 and 7 pm if it had been available. There is a very weird thing about Ocado that is starting to concern me just a little. I never get the same driver twice – not ever. Ocado delivers to me probably 42 week out of 52 of a year and I’ve always had a different delivery man or woman. I find that quite spooky actually. Is it just me? Is there a black hole that swallows them up or is it such a terrible job that no one can stick it for more than a week. It concerns me greatly because they are always such nice people. Polite, efficient and very courteous. What happens to them once they’ve delivered my shopping? Why do I never see them again? Either they have a very large workforce or a very high turnover rate or Alexandra Gardens just does it for people. Each week I look for a familiar face and each week I am disappointed. Maybe the road network is getting ever more increasingly populated with lost Ocado delivery men. It is one of the twenty first centuries eternal mysteries to be sure. Where do all the Ocado delivery men go? Answers on a postcard please!!

#1: 1/3/2007   
Posted by Laura on Thursday 1st March 2007 at 11:39 PM

March is with us. I remember from my childhood in Canada a saying about the month of March. It is either in like a lion and out like a lamb or in like a lamb and out like a lion. Today was neither a lion or a lamb day to me. OK so it was fairly mild but there was a biting cold hanging in the air. The frost that wasn't had teeth. It didn't rain today and there was plenty of sunshine but it was thin, luke warm, half hearted even. Nothing remarkable. The weather is set to turn colder on us before it really does become Spring.

Top of Page Site Map

swiss replica watches